funny menu for you
100g/4oz dried breadcrumbs
900g/2lb cooking apples
juice of 3 lemons
225g/8oz seedless raisins
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1⁄2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
225g/8oz chopped walnuts
175g/6oz soft brown sugar
450g/1lb filo pastry sheets
• Heat a dry frying pan over a medium heat. Pour in the breadcrumbs.
Stirring all the time, lightly toast the crumbs for 1–2 minutes. Remove
from the heat and set aside to cool.
• Peel, core and dice the apples, put them in a large bowl and toss in the
lemon juice to prevent browning. Add the cranberries, raisins, cinnamon,
nutmeg, walnuts and sugar. Mix well together.
• Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4.
• Spread a moist tea towel on a clean work surface, and put the sheets of
pastry on it. Remove a single sheet of pastry, and place on a second
moist tea towel. Quickly cover the remaining pastry with a third moist
• Melt some of the butter in a pan, and brush over the single pastry sheet.
Sprinkle with some of the breadcrumbs. Uncover the pastry sheets, lift off
a second sheet of pastry and place this on top of the first. Cover the
remaining sheets as before.
• Brush the second sheet of pastry with melted butter and sprinkle with
breadcrumbs. Repeat this procedure with another 2 pastry sheets.
Spread half of the apple and walnut filling on the fourth sheet, leaving a
border around the edge. Using the tea towel underneath, slowly and
carefully roll the sheets of pastry away from you to form a log, tucking
the edges of the pastry inwards as you go.
• Repeat the entire procedure until you have 2 pastry logs, keeping the
first one moist under a tea towel while making the second.
• Lightly grease a baking tray, and carefully slide the strudel logs onto it.
Brush the tops of both logs with the remaining butter, and bake in the
oven for 30–40 minutes until brown and crisp. Remove from the oven
and allow to cool slightly before serving.
View over 5,000 menus at http://www.menu-for-you.com