funny menu for you
50g/2oz caster sugar
150ml/5fl oz double cream
100g/4oz muscovado sugar
4 eggs, separated
150g/5oz plain flour
11⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
• Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4. Grease four moulds
measuring 300ml/10fl oz.
• In a saucepan, dissolve the caster sugar in 2 tablespoons water over a
low heat. Warm the double cream in another pan. When the sugar has
dissolved, increase the heat under that pan, and boil until golden brown.
Remove from the heat and add the hot cream, stirring. Pour equally
between the moulds.
• Using an electric whisk, cream the butter and muscovado sugar until
off-white, then whisk in the egg yolks, one at a time.
• In a glass bowl, whisk the egg whites to soft peaks and reserve.
• Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl, then whisk into the butter
cream. Fold the whisked egg whites into the mixture.
• Spoon into the moulds, and cover the tops with buttered rounds of
baking parchment. Put into a roasting tin, and pour in enough hot water
from the kettle to come halfway up the moulds. Bake in the oven for
40–50 minutes. Serve hot on their own, or with cream or ice cream.