funny menu for you
Crêpes Suzettes serves 4
For the cr?pe batter
100g/4oz plain flour
Pinch of salt
300ml/10fl oz milk
25g/1oz butter, melted
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
For the sauce
25g/1oz caster sugar, sifted
finely grated zest and juice of
1 large orange
finely grated zest of 1 large lemon
3 tablespoons Cointreau
2 tablespoons brandy
• To make the crêpe batter, put all the ingredients except the oil in a
blender or food processor. Add 150ml/5fl oz cold water, and blend to
a smooth batter. Alternatively, sift the flour and salt into a bowl, add the
eggs and about half of the milk. Whisk to a thick paste. Whisk in the
remaining milk and 150ml/5fl oz water for a smooth pouring batter,
then add the melted butter. Cover and set aside for 30 minutes.
• Heat 1⁄2 teaspoon of the oil in a non-stick 18 cm/7in frying pan. Pour in
4 tablespoons batter and swirl around. Cook for 15 seconds until the
edges brown. Turn the pancake over and cook until lightly browned.
• Repeat with the rest of the batter to make about 14 pancakes, adding
more oil as necessary. Stack them between sheets of greaseproof paper
on a plate as you cook them. Rest the plate over a saucepan of
simmering water to keep warm.
• To make the sauce, put the butter, sugar, zests and juice in a frying pan,
and warm gently until the butter has melted. Add the pancakes and
warm through gently, turning once.
• Pour in the Cointreau and brandy, and swirl carefully over the heat to
warm through gently. Once the alcohol is warm, flame the pancakes
with a lighted match. Serve immediately.