funny menu for you
1 pastry sheet from a 375g/13oz
pack puff pastry
100g/4oz white marzipan, chilled
and coarsely grated
4 Braeburn apples, quartered, cored
juice of 1 large lemon
25g/1oz Demerara sugar
1⁄2 teaspoon mixed spice
• Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas mark 6. Grease the bottoms of
six 7.5cm/3in individual tartlet tins.
• Roll out the pastry sheet more thinly. Stamp out six 12.5cm/5in rounds
of pastry using a pastry cutter. Use to line the tins, and prick the bases
twice with a fork. Chill for 10 minutes.
• Line the pastry with foil and baking beans. Bake blind for 10 minutes.
Remove the foil and beans, sprinkle in the marzipan and cook for a
further 5 minutes.
• Quarter, core and slice the apples. Heat the butter in a large non-stick
frying pan. Add the apples, lemon juice, sugar and mixed spice, and
cook over a high heat for 5 minutes, turning as needed, until most of the
lemon juice has evaporated and the apples are just tender.
• Pile the apple mixture into the warm pastry cases, then put back in the
oven for 2–3 minutes. Serve the tartlets warm with crème fraîche.