funny menu for you
Floating islands in hot plum sauce
450g/1lb red plums
300ml/10fl oz apple juice
2 egg whites
2 tablespoons concentrated
freshly grated nutmeg
• Halve the plums and remove the stones. Put them in a wide saucepan
with the apple juice. Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer gently until
the plums have become tender.
• Put the egg whites in a bowl and whisk them until they hold soft peaks.
• Gradually whisk in the concentrated apple juice, whisking until the
meringue holds fairly firm peaks.
• Using a tablespoon, scoop the meringue mixture into the gently
simmering plum sauce. Cover and simmer gently for 2–3 minutes, until
the meringues are set.
• Serve immediately, sprinkled with a little freshly grated nutmeg.