funny menu for you
Souffléed rice pudding
50g/2oz short-grain rice
3 tablespoons clear honey
750ml/11⁄4pt skimmed milk
1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon freshly
• Put the rice, honey and milk in a
heavy or non-stick saucepan, and
bring to the boil.
• Reduce the heat, and put the lid on
the pan. Leave to simmer gently for
1–11⁄4 hours, stirring occasionally to
prevent sticking, until most of the
liquid has been absorbed. Add the
• Preheat the oven to 220°C/
425°F/Gas mark 7.
• Put the egg whites in a bowl, and
whisk until they hold soft peaks.
Using a large metal spoon,
carefully fold the egg whites evenly
into the rice mixture, and tip into a
1-litre/13⁄4pt ovenproof dish.
• Sprinkle with grated nutmeg and
bake for 15–20 minutes until the
pudding is well risen and golden
brown. Serve hot.