funny menu for you
Leek & carrot gratin
700g/11⁄2lb leeks, cut into
150ml/5fl oz vegetable stock
3 tablespoons white wine
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
pinch of salt
300ml/10fl oz skimmed milk
25g/1oz plain flour
For the topping
100g/4oz fresh wholemeal
100g/4oz carrot, grated
2 tablespoons chopped fresh
75g/3oz Edam cheese,
2 tablespoons flaked almonds
• Put the leeks in a large heavy saucepan, and add the stock, wine,
caraway seeds and a pinch of salt. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook
for 5–7 minutes until the leeks are just tender.
• With a slotted spoon, transfer the leeks to an ovenproof dish. Boil the
remaining liquid to half the original volume, then make up to 350ml/
12fl oz with the skimmed milk.
• Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4.
• Melt the margarine in a flameproof casserole dish, stir in the flour and
cook without allowing it to colour for 1–2 minutes. Gradually add the
stock and milk, stirring well after each addition, until smooth. Simmer for
5–6 minutes, stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth, then pour
the sauce over the leeks in the dish.
• To make the topping, mix all the ingredients together in a bowl, and
sprinkle over the leeks. Bake for 20–25 minutes until golden. Serve hot.
View over 5,000 menus at http://www.menu-for-you.com