funny menu for you
4 dessert pears
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed
2 teaspoons low-fat spread or
5cm/2in cinnamon stick, broken
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cornflour
1 teaspoon freshly squeezed
• Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4.
• Pare the skin off the pears, but leave whole with the stems attached.
Arrange on their sides in a shallow 1.2-litre/2pt casserole dish.
• In a bowl, whisk together 50ml/2fl oz water, the orange juice and the
low-fat spread or butter, and pour over the pears. Add the cinnamon
stick, and bake in the oven for 20–30 minutes until tender, basting from
time to time. Using a slotted spoon, transfer each pear to a dessert dish,
reserving the pan juices.
• In a small saucepan, combine the pan juices with the strawberries and
bring to the boil.
• In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon water, the sugar, cornflour and
lemon juice, stirring to dissolve. Add to the saucepan, stirring constantly,
and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and cook, stirring constantly, until
thickened. Remove from the heat, and pour over the pears. Serve
immediately either plain or with double cream.