funny menu for you
1 small marrow
salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the filling
25g/1oz low-fat spread
1 onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 celery stick, finely chopped
200g/7oz minced quorn
2 tablespoons tomato purée
150ml/5fl oz vegetable stock
1⁄2 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
50g/2oz low-fat Cheddar
• Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4.
• Peel the marrow and cut into 8 slices. Discard the pith and seeds. Put in
a single layer in a baking tin, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add
2 tablespoons water.
• Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
• To make the filling, melt the low-fat spread in a saucepan. Add the
onion, carrot and celery, and sauté, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the
mushrooms, quorn, tomato purée, stock, herbs and a little salt and
pepper, and stir well. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer
gently for 20 minutes until the mixture is tender and the liquid is well
reduced, stirring occasionally.
• Spoon the mixture into the marrow rings, top each with a little cheese
and bake uncovered in the oven for a further 25 minutes or until tender
and golden. Serve hot.