funny menu for you
100g/4oz butter, melted
450g/1lb walnuts, finely chopped
50g/2oz caster sugar
pinch of ground cinnamon
275g/10oz filo pastry
For the syrup
juice of 1 lemon
1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4. Lightly grease a
25cm/10in loose-bottomed cake tin.
• Mix together the walnuts, sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.
• Unfold the filo pastry, and cover with a damp tea towel to prevent it
drying out. Brush a piece of the filo with melted butter, and fit it into the
bottom of the tin with the buttered side down. Let the edges spill over
and brush with butter. Repeat with three more buttered filo sheets,
making sure that the whole tin is lined.
• Sprinkle with half of the nut mixture. Repeat with four more layers of
buttered filo, then scatter the remaining nut mixture over them. Put two
more layers of buttered filo on top, then fold the edges in and under.
• Cut the last two pieces of filo so they that fit the tin, place on top and
brush generously with butter. Bake for 40 minutes, then increase the
temperature to 200°C/400°F/Gas mark 6. Bake for a further
20 minutes or until golden brown.
• To make the syrup, gently heat the lemon juice, sugar and cinnamon until
the sugar has dissolved and the syrup has reduced slightly. Pour over the
cooked baklava, and leave to cool in the tin for 1–2 hours. Cut into
wedges and serve.
View over 5,000 menus at http://www.menu-for-you.com