funny menu for you
2 eggs, lightly beaten
150g/5oz Demerara sugar
75ml/3fl oz cream
1 tablespoon sweet sherry
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
For the pastry
150g/5oz plain flour
100g/4oz butter, cubed
1 teaspoons caster sugar
75ml/3fl oz iced water
1 egg yolk, lightly beaten, to glaze
1 tablespoon milk, to glaze
• Lightly grease a 23cm/9in round pie dish.
• Peel the pumpkin and discard the seeds. Chop the flesh into small
chunks, and steam or boil for 10 minutes or until the pumpkin is just
tender. Drain thoroughly, mash and set aside to cool.
• To make the pastry, sift the flour into a large bowl, and rub in the butter
using your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in
the caster sugar.
• Make a well in the centre, add almost all of the iced water and mix with
a flat-bladed knife. Add the remaining water, a little at a time, if
necessary to bring the dough together. Gather the dough into a ball,
and roll out between two sheets of baking parchment until large enough
to cover the base and side of the pie dish. Line the dish with the pastry,
trim away any excess and crimp the edges. Chill the pastry-lined dish for
about 20 minutes.
• Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4.
• Cut a piece of baking parchment large enough to cover the pie dish.
Use to line the pastry shell, then spread baking beans over the paper.
Bake blind for 10 minutes, then remove the paper and beans. Return the
pie shell to the oven for a further 10 minutes or until lightly golden. Do
not turn the oven off.
• To make the filling, whisk the eggs and Demerara sugar in a large bowl.
Add the cooled mashed pumpkin, cream, sherry, cinnamon, nutmeg and
ginger, and stir thoroughly until combined. Pour the filling into the pastry
shell, smooth the surface with the back of a spoon, then bake for
40 minutes or until set.
• Serve the pie warm with ice cream or whipped cream.
View over 5,000 menus at http://www.menu-for-you.com