funny menu for you
Mississippi mud pie
225g/8oz plain flour
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
25g/1oz caster sugar
450ml/3⁄4pt double cream, whipped
For the filling
350g/12oz muscovado sugar
4 eggs, lightly beaten
4 tablespoons cocoa powder, sifted
150g/5oz dark chocolate
300ml/10fl oz single cream
1 teaspoon chocolate essence
• To make the pastry, sift the flour and cocoa powder into a mixing bowl.
Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the
sugar and enough cold water (about 2 tablespoons) to mix to a soft
dough. Chill for 15 minutes.
• Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas mark 5.
• Roll out the pastry dough on a lightly floured work surface, and use to
line a greased 23cm/9in loose-bottomed flan tin. Line with foil and
• Bake blind in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove the beans and foil, and
cook for a further 10 minutes until crisp. Reduce the oven temperature to
170°C/325°F/Gas mark 3.
• To make the filling, beat the butter and sugar in a bowl, and gradually
beat in the eggs with the cocoa powder. Melt the dark chocolate in a
heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, then beat the melted
chocolate, single cream and chocolate essesnce into the egg mixture.
• Pour the mixture into the cooked pastry shell, and bake in the oven for
45 minutes or until the filling is set. Leave in the tin to cool completely,
then transfer to a serving plate. Cover with the whipped cream, and chill
View over 5,000 menus at http://www.menu-for-you.com