funny menu for you
450g/1lb granulated sugar
1⁄4 teaspoon tartaric acid
200g/7oz icing sugar, sifted
50g/2oz clear honey
a few drops of rose water
red food colouring
175g/6oz icing sugar
11⁄2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
3⁄4 teaspoon citric acid
• Put the granulated sugar in a saucepan with 300ml/10 fl oz water. Heat
gently, stirring continuously, until the sugar has dissolved.
• Bring to the boil, add the tartaric acid and remove from the heat.
• Put the icing sugar and cornflour in a saucepan, and gradually blend in
600ml/1pt water. Bring to the boil, stirring well until thick and syrupy.
• Reduce the heat and gradually beat in the sugar syrup. Bring to the boil,
and boil steadily for 30 minutes until very pale golden and transparent.
• Beat in the honey and rose water, add a little colouring (add only a
drop of two at a time, so that the Turkish delight is a delicate rose
colour) and pour into an oiled 18cm/7in square tin. Leave to set.
• Sift together the coating ingredients, cut the Turkish delight into squares
and toss in the coating.
View over 5,000 menus at http://www.menu-for-you.com