funny menu for you
Lime meringue tarts
For the pastry
50g/2oz pistachio nuts
100g/4oz plain flour, sifted
pinch of salt
75g/3oz butter, diced
50g/2oz icing sugar
2 medium eggs
For the pastry
1 egg plus 3 egg yolks
grated zest and juice of 5 limes
200g/7oz caster sugar
150ml/5fl oz double cream
• Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas mark 5. Grease and flour six
tartlet tins measuring 8 x 2.5cm/31⁄4 x 1in.
• To make the pastry, chop the pistachios in a blender or food processor
for 30 seconds. Add the flour, salt and butter, and pulse until the mixture
resembles crumbs. Add the icing sugar and pulse to mix. Separate the
eggs, put 1 egg white to one side for the meringue and discard the
other. Add the yolks to the mixture, and pulse until it just holds together.
• Turn the dough on to a lightly floured work surface, and knead gently to
bring the mixture together. Roll out the pastry and use to line the tins,
pressing well into the edges and trimming off any excess pastry. Cover
with cling film and chill for 30 minutes.
• Put the tins on a baking sheet, line with foil and fill with baking beans.
Bake for 10 minutes. Remove the foil and beans, and bake for a further
10–12 minutes until just cooked. Remove from the oven, and reduce the
temperature to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4.
• Meanwhile, to make the filling, put the egg and egg yolks into a small
pan, add the lime zest and juice, 150g/5oz of the caster sugar and the
cream. Cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring regularly, until
the custard has thickened and is smooth. Pour into a large bowl and
allow to cool. Spoon the lime filling into the pastry cases.
• Put the reserved egg white into a bowl and whisk until it stands in stiff
peaks. Add the remaining sugar a little at a time, and continue to beat
until the mixture is stiff and shiny. Put in a piping bag fitted with a round
1cm/1⁄2in nozzle, and pipe around the edge of the tarts.
• Bake the tarts for 10 minutes or until the meringue is hard to the touch.
Serve hot or cold.
View over 5,000 menus at http://www.menu-for-you.com