funny menu for you
Rich fruit cake
375g/13oz raisins, chopped
225g/8oz glacé cherries,
250ml/9fl oz brandy, plus extra
1 tablespoon, to glaze
200g/7oz Demerara sugar
2 tablespoons apricot jam
2 tablespoons treacle
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
300g/11oz plain flour, sifted
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• Put the sultanas, raisins, currants and cherries in a bowl with the
250ml/9fl oz brandy, and soak overnight.
• Preheat the oven to 150°C/300°F/Gas mark 2. Lightly grease and line
a deep 23cm/9in round cake tin.
• Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl until
just combined. Beat in the jam, treacle and lemon zest. Add the eggs,
one at a time, beating after each addition.
• Stir the fruit, flour and spices alternately into the mixture, mixing until the
ingredients are combined.
• Spoon the mixture into the tin, and smooth the surface. Tap the tin on the
bench to remove any air bubbles. and level the surface with wet hands.
• Bake for 3–31⁄4 hours. Brush the surface with the extra tablespoon of
brandy. Cover the top of the cake with baking parchment, and wrap in
a tea towel. Allow to cool completely before turning out of the tin.
• To store, wrap the cake in a double thickness of greaseproof paper, and
keep in an airtight tin. Leave to ‘mature’ for a few days before eating.
View over 5,000 menus at http://www.menu-for-you.com