funny menu for you
Chocolate meringue pie
225g/8oz dark chocolate
25g/1oz butter, melted
For the filling
3 egg yolks
50g/2oz caster sugar
100g/4oz dark chocolate (at least
70% cocoa solids)
For the meringue
2 egg whites
100g/4oz caster sugar
1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla essence
• Preheat the oven to 160°C/325°F/Gas mark 3.
• Put the digestive biscuits in a plastic bag, and crush with a rolling pin.
Pour into a mixing bowl. Stir the butter into the biscuit crumbs until well
mixed. Press the biscuit mixture firmly into the bottom and up the sides of
a 23cm/9in flan tin or dish.
• To make the filling, beat the egg yolks, sugar and cornflour in a large
bowl until they form a smooth paste, adding a little of the milk if
necessary. Heat the milk until almost boiling, then slowly pour into the
egg mixture, whisking well.
• Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook gently, whisking constantly,
until it thickens. Remove from the heat. Melt the chocolate in a heatproof
bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Whisk the melted chocolate
into the mixture in the saucepan. Pour the mixture into the digestive
• To make the meringue, whisk the egg whites in a large mixing bowl until
standing in soft peaks. Gradually whisk in about two-thirds of the sugar
until the mixture is thick and glossy. Fold in the remaining sugar and the
vanilla essence. Spread the meringue over the filling.
• Bake the pie in the centre of the oven for 30 minutes. Serve warm.
View over 5,000 menus at http://www.menu-for-you.com