funny menu for you
Pineapple upside-down cake
425g/15oz canned unsweetened
pineapple pieces, drained with
4 teaspoons cornflour
50g/2oz soft brown sugar
50g/2oz margarine or butter
grated zest of 1 lemon
For the sponge
50ml/2fl oz sunflower oil
75g/3oz soft brown sugar
150g/5oz plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4. Grease a deep
18cm/7in cake tin.
• Mix the reserved juice from the pineapple with the cornflour until it forms
a smooth paste. Put the paste in a saucepan with the sugar, butter or
margarine, and 125ml/4fl oz water. Stir over a low heat until the sugar
has dissolved. Bring to the boil and simmer for 2–3 minutes until
thickened. Set aside to cool slightly.
• To make the sponge, put the oil, sugar and 150ml/5fl oz water in a
saucepan. Heat gently until the sugar has dissolved – do not allow to
boil. Remove from the heat and leave to cool. .
• Sift the flour, baking powder and cinnamon into a bowl. Pour over the
cooled sugar syrup, and beat well to form a batter.
• Put the pineapple pieces and lemon zest on the bottom of the prepared
tin, and pour over 4 tablespoons pineapple syrup. Spoon the sponge
batter on top.
• Bake in the oven for 35–40 minutes until set. Invert onto a plate, leave to
stand for 5 minutes, then remove the tin. Serve with or without the
View over 5,000 menus at http://www.menu-for-you.com